Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Here Comes The Sun


Thanks to Betsy and her tweeting to the world that she found tickets to the home opener last week, I was able to do the same. Unlike Betsy and Katie, I was able to find two seats together and my sister and I sat in section 102, row 16. Our seats were great and we had an amazing view of the whole park. Like everyone else I scrutinized the weather more than I’d care to admit in the days and hours leading up to the game. I was fully prepared for rain, but immensely relieved when it became obvious the rain wasn’t going to be making an appearance at the game and blue skies and sunshine showed up in the second inning.



The opening ceremony was beautifully done and truly a celebration of the Twins and Twins Territory. Honoring local soldiers who have lost their lives while serving in Iraq & Afghanistan, the American flag was raised by the lone surviving soldier of a Humve attack in Iraq last year, followed by a moment of silence to honor the three soldiers from Minnesota who’ve lost their lives in Iraq over the last two weeks. The National Anthem was sung by members of the Twin Cities Gospel Choir, followed by a F-16 flyover by the 148th Fighter Wing of the Minnesota Air National Guard. The ceremonial first pitch balls were delivered to the pitching mound by Twins greats Kent Hrbek, Rod Carew, Tony Oliva, Harmon Killebrew and the late Kirby Puckett was represented by his son Kirby Puckett Jr. The ceremonial first pitches were thrown by members of the Hennepin County Ballpark Commission and Mortensen Construction, all who worked on the design and construction of Target Field. The only change to the opening ceremony I would’ve made is to get someone higher profile to sing the National Anthem, of course this person would have connections to Minnesota. I personal would like to see Minnesota natives and Broadway stars Laura Osnes or Christopher Sieber sing the National Anthem.

In past seasons I’d have the same thing at every Twins game… a Dome Dog. This season I’ve decided to be adventurous and sample all the food Target Field has to offer. At the exhibition game I attended I sampled the Jumbo Dog (the replacement for the Dome Dog) and actually prefer the taste of this hot dog over the Dome Dog. During the opener my sister and I split the Nachos Grande from Senor Smoke’s before the game and a basket of chicken fingers and french fries during the 6th inning. I thought the prices were reasonable for ballpark food, the nachos were $8.50 and the chicken fingers and fries basket was $7. Both items had more than enough food to feed two people.


I’ve been a baseball fan my entire life and a Twins fan since my first game in May 2003. The Twins have given me a lot to be proud of over the last seven years at the Dome; four AL Central Division Championships, two MVPs, a CY Young Winner, numerous Gold Glove Winners, a three time AL Batting Champion and countless games and memories that I’ll never forget. With all the excitement that has surrounded the opening of Target Field, it’s evident that Twins baseball is back where it belongs… under blue skies, sunshine and star filled nights. After Monday’s historic home opener at Target Field, I’ve never been prouder to call the Twins my team and to proclaim myself as a member of Twins Territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment